The Alchemist Definition Paper
Allegory – symbolic works in which characters, events, objects and places are to be understood to represent something else (something beyond the text); not to be taken literally.
An allegory represents deeper, outer moral, political, spiritual, philosophical meaning.
Related literary terms associated with allegory
• Ex: Good Samaritan, Prodigal Son
• Usually emphasize spiritual lessons
• ( & usually one char. Repr. Every Man – In Alchemist, is Santiago – In superman, Superman )
• Ex: Chicken Little, Tortoise and the Hare, The Fox and the Crow
• Always/Often chars. are personified animals ; at least 2 char. converse
• Usually moral lessons
^ Are ex. Of allegory
• Not literal;; Figurative, metaphorical, symbolic
-Santiago, Melchezadek, Gypsy woman, Fatima, Englishman,
^ Biblical Character names
Santiago – NT St. James the Greater
^Leaves his boat and family behind when Jesus said “Come Follow Me”
-Melchezadek – OT King, w/Abraham
^ Some believe is predecessor of JC
-Gypsy Woman – Veronica, NT Wipes Jesus’ face
-Englishman - *Think in light of N.Africa
-Sourcerer’s Stone – Moses struck
-Gold Coins – Jesus got mad (??? Give to ceasar what is ceasar’s?)
IDENTIFY AT LEAST TWO PARABLES IN THE BIBLE.
Man Who Receives a Kingdom
The man who, going into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, gave to his servants ten pounds, and told them to trade with them till he came. When he returned the first said:--
Lord, thy pound hath gained ten pounds. And he said unto him, Well done thou good servant, because thou hast been faithful in a very little, be thou over ten cities. And the second said,...