1) The Life & Times of William Shakespeare
* Born April 23, 1564; died 1616
* Town: Stratford upon Avon
* Education: Grammar School where he learned Latin
* Married: Anne Hathaway (she was 27 he was 18)
* Professional Life:
* Moved to London to become the chief stockholder of his acting troop: The lord chamberlains Men.
* Name of troop changed to The Kings Men.
* Population 200,000
* Port city (New items and foreign languages)
* 50 printing presses
* Free entertainments
* Cock, fights, public execution.
* Narrow, Cobblestone, streets
* Crowded, disease (Plague)
* Inn Yards – readymade audience.
* Play, became more popular – permanent building.
* Rose swan and the globe.
4) Globe Theatre:
* Octagonal Shape
* Thrust stage
* 3 Balconies
* Pit for the poor (The Grounding)
* Partially roofed (day time performance)
* No curtains
* Heaven, earth, Hell
5) The Actor:
* Expert Swordsmen
* Special effects (sheep’s blood)
6) The Audience:
* Noisy and Voice disapproval
* Venders, prostitutes, pick pockets
* Rich could rent a stool on stage.
7) Government (The Divine Right of Kings)
* The king is God’s representative on earth.
* Represent order in the state.
* If the king is injured or threatened with civil war. God becomes angry and disorder results.
* The way to restore order is to kill the person who killed the king.
8) Health: The theory of the humors
* Amorous, happy, Generous
* Yellow Bile
* Violent Vengeful
* Dull, Pale, Cowardly
* Black Bile / Glutinous, lazy, sentimental / Depressed
* Elizabeth I
* Spanish Armada (Navy)
* No Children
* James I
* King of Scotland
* King James Bible